When should you update your website?:
First of all, your website can be updated in the form of new blog posts, news, new pages, change of information, change of home page and more. Your website should be updated anytime something new has happened to you or your business that is worth your audiences time and attention. Having new content up on your website is important for many reasons, the highest of all is to help you to reach your sales and marketing goals.
Why you should be updating your website regularly
There are many reasons why your website should be updated regularly. Whether it’s a complete overhaul or just small incremental changes; here are 5 reasons that show you the benefits of updating your website on a regular basis.
- It’s good for SEO
Because search engines crawl and recommend regularly updated pages higher up in search results than those that are not, you can boost your search rankings higher by regularly updating your website in various forms. You can also boost your websites search ranking by linking from one page of your website to other pages on your site, using key search words and terms that relate to each page content page and by writing long form quality blog posts or pages usually over the 500-word mark.
- Good for social media
When you update your website regularly you end up with an abundance of content for your social media platforms. Your effort on social media will go further when you can direct followers to a piece of content on your website where they are more likely to stay, browse and (if you have strategically placed internal links in your content) view your products and services.
- Return users
With regularly updated websites, users are more likely to return, register, buy or recommend the website to other people. It’s not always easy but consistency pays off. Commit to a regular update schedule that works for you and the demand of your audience and you’ll see a gradual increase in the number of visitors and eventually in engagement in the form or registrations, sales or feedback/comments.
- It shows that your business is active and alive
A regularly updated website gives a good first impression to visitors and customers. See it like this, imagine there are 2 companies who sell similar products at similar prices. One of them has a regularly updated blog, customer support forum or a regular news section and the other does not. As a customer, you are more likely to trust and shop with the business that takes the time to update their website and customers. Updating your website gives visitors and customers the feeling that you’re still running, active and you care about your customers and your product or service.
- Change of branding/design
If you’ve changed your logo design, colours or your marketing materials then your website should also be changed in order to reflect the changes. Just like your flyer designs, business cards or posters, your website is a marketing tool and should be in harmony with the overall branding of your website. Not updating your website in line with recent design changes can confuse customers or even worse, cause them to leave if they think it’s a different company entirely
- It’s good for SEO
What should you be updating on your website?
As well as your blog and news page, other areas of your website also need to be taken care of. I always suggest browsing through your website at least once a month to have a look at what you have on there to ensure there are no outdated content, spelling mistakes or irrelevant information. Here are parts of your website that need to be changed every once in a while:
- http://siftstar.com/wp-json/oembed/1.0/embed?url=https://siftstar.com/2006/10/06/lost-winters/ Your blog: A blog allows you to voice your opinions on your products, competing products, offer expertise, etc. A blog builds your credibility while also increasing your search presence.
- Tanakpur Your news page: A news section lists important announcements such as recent awards, innovations, new hires, new promotions and new products or services.
- http://howardneildiscotheques.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/advanced_file_manager_5/php/connector.minimal.php Staff Directory: People like to see faces. Have a page with pictures and short bios of the people your customers will be interacting with. Just remember that if someone leaves or changes, keep this updated!
- http://owlandmonkey.co.uk/product-tag/shaving-accessories/ Home Page: Your home page should change to reflect changes within the site. You can put the latest blog post or news on your header or slider images. More importantly – place Calls to Action (CTAs) on your home page that lead the user deeper into your site. For instance, a CTA that tells the user to “Click here for a free demo”. CTAs customers moving throughout your site.
- About page: These are the business cards of the website world. Pay attention to anything that has a date on it. Longevity statements are great for building credibility but make sure to keep them up to date otherwise they defeat their purpose.
- FAQ’s A good set of frequently asked questions can save some annoying phone calls. If you find that you are being asked the same questions regularly then add your response on the FAQ page to avoid having to repeat it.
- Products and services: it should go without saying but if you add, remove, or enhance a product or service, put it on your website! This is key for getting the right kind of search traffic.
- Testimonials and Case Studies: Word of mouth is still the best form of advertising. If you make a customer happy, get them to tell you about it. If they are taking too long to write a testimonial then write one on their behalf and ask them if they are ok with it. Most often than not they will be. Once you have it, put it on your website and make sure it’s visible.
These are just a sample of things that should be updated regularly. If you don’t have the ability to make these updates yourself, you may be better off partnering or hiring someone that offers website maintenance services. If time and quality matter to you then what might take several hours for you to do, a web developer might be able to complete in just a few minutes. This lets you focus on what you love, and do best – while leveraging the strength and expertise of the web professional to keep your website in tip-top shape. If this is of interest to you, get in touch and ask about my website maintenance services.